Help us continue our fight to preserve Backcountry Motorcycling Riding Opportunities
HOW TO USE GPS TRACKS
The GPS Tracks are a universal GPX file that can be used with nearly any GPS platform. This file has a large amount of track points and may need modifications to be loaded into your GPS unit. Please consult the manual of your GPS device for more information about its capabilities.
The information contained in the BDR GPX files is best viewed on your GPS unit as ‘TRACKS’ or ‘OFF- ROAD TRACKS’. Converting or importing this information to ‘ROUTES’ or ‘TRIPS’ will often result in a loss of accuracy and increased difficulty navigating the BDR.
To get the tracks onto most Garmin GPS units
- Download the BDR tracks for free from the BDR website from any of the Routes pages
- Find the BDR GPX file you just downloaded onto your computer and know its location
- Plug the GPS into your computer and open the device to view it as a removable drive
- Look for a folder labeled “GPX” and open it (sometimes it’s in another folder labeled Garmin/Zumo)
- Now drag or move the downloaded BDR GPX file from your computer into the GPX folder on your GPS device
- Unplug and power up the GPS unit, if it asks you to import new data be sure to import the BDR as ‘Off Road Tracks’
- Open the track manager on the GPS to make sure the BDR Tracks are present and set to ‘Show on Map’
- Consult your GPS manual if you have questions about this process
VIDEO: How to download BDR GPX tracks and upload to your GPS.
Tracks vs Routes
The Backcountry Discovery Routes are distributed as TRACKS which present themselves as a detailed list of data points that are all linked together in a specific order.
We use TRACKS rather than ROUTES because of the high density of data points and the ability for it to be locked rather than recalculated by the GPS unit. Most modern GPS units can display tracks and that is how we recommend navigating these trips. Garmin Basecamp is capable of converting a track to a route if your GPS unit is not capable of using tracks but we can’t guarantee any success with this process.